Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am aware that one can explain that to things happen at the same time using plain non past form + とき:

電車に乗るとき転びました。"I fell when I got on the train (I was going through the door when it happened)"

I am not quite sure about the following nuance, though : plain past form + とき means the first action was over when the second happened :

電車に乗ったとき転びました。 "I fell when I got on the train (I was already inside the train when it happened)"

Would it roughly mean the same thing as :

電車に乗った後転びました。"After I got on the train, I fell"

Eventually, would it be correct to express that I read a book before I went to sleep using :

本を読んだとき寝ました。

share|improve this question
See if as two states (not tense), accomplished and non-accomplished. AーたB is when A is done, then B. You can even use it speaking of the future. 50歳になった時にヨーロッパいく。 = I'll go to Europe once I turned 50. –  oldergod Feb 9 '13 at 13:14
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Yes, 電車に乗ったとき転んだ is roughly the same as 電車に乗った後転んだ. However, there is a slight difference. The former implies that the action 転ぶ happened right after the action 電車に乗る: I fell just after I got on a train. 電車に乗った後転んだ does not have this implication, and it just means: I fell after I got on a train.

本を読んだとき寝た sounds strange whereas 本を読んだ後寝た sounds perfectly normal. I am not sure why, but I suspect that if an action V takes time, it is unnatural to use Vしたとき and instead we use some other constructs such as Vしているとき, Vした後, and Vし終わったとき depending on what we mean by it.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.