Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I believe this a kind of word-game, but cannot find a reference to it...

share|improve this question
How is said game played? ひとこと means "a/one word" and means "column". –  istrasci Feb 8 '13 at 18:57

my mistake, as below, not a word game at all but an "extra information" field for a form –  lalalalalalalambda Feb 9 '13 at 4:42
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

ひとこと欄 is not the name of a game. It means “a place for a short message.” It is often found at the end of various forms. For example, an application form of a fitness center may have ひとこと欄 at the end with a sentence such as “If you have any suggestions or concerns, please write them here.”

I do not know its English equivalent, but I post this as an answer because japanese.stackexchange.com is a website for questions about Japanese, not for questions about English.

share|improve this answer
I guess just "comment box"? It's worth pointing out that 欄 is a pretty common word for text fields (e.g. in browsers), like 名前欄 (box into which you put your name). I saw someone refer to some box on Twitter as 「お気に入り」欄 ('favourites' section). The Facebook status update box is 近況欄. –  Billy Feb 9 '13 at 15:37
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.