Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When I ask Google to translate "a person is at location" I get 「人は場所にある」. To me the use of 「ある」 seems wrong since we are talking about a person. Is it right to use 「ある」 or should 「いる」 be used instead?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Peter, snailboat, Tsuyoshi Ito, Earthliŋ, Dono Feb 8 '13 at 22:45

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

@snailplane - Thanks, that looks perfect. –  Peter Feb 8 '13 at 18:40

Note that question 1905 is about …である, which is different from what you are asking here, although Hyperworm’s comment and the last paragraph of sawa’s answer on that page should be helpful for your question. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Feb 8 '13 at 20:17
Here are some questions which are related to your question more directly: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/2228, japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/6253, japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/6474. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Feb 8 '13 at 20:19

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.