Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

While i was talking with my japanese friends, that word just came up they could't explain that. Can you tell me what does ドン引き mean?

share|improve this question
Can you read Japanese well? This was the very first google result for ドン引き zokugo-dict.com/20to/donbiki.htm –  ssb Feb 8 '13 at 7:09
Even if you can't read Japanese well, my dictionary gives "talking or acting in such a way as to make those around you draw away". WWWJDIC says "drawing away from someone because of their speech or actions; having the mood ruined". It gives an example sentence, in which ドン引き is translated as "you creeper!". Seems clear to me. –  Billy Feb 9 '13 at 15:28

1 Answer 1

When someone says or does something that you dislike or makes you nervous / uncomfortable, you may withdraw or keep your distance from them. This is donbiki. Rather than actually withdrawing from them, you can express the same by saying donbiki...

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.