Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

beginner Japanese language self-learner here. I hope my question isn't a bad question.

As title suggested, I would like to know about the difference between the two verbs which I understood have the same dictionary meaning, "to dedicate." However, beyond the fact that ささぐ is a 五段 verb and ささげる is an 一段 verb, I really have no idea how/when to use which.

Thank you,

share|improve this question
The dictionaries on Yahoo (大辞泉大辞林) seem to say that ささぐ is a literary (文語) form of ささげる, so I imagine they have the same meaning. They also say ささぐ is a 下二段 verb rather than a 五段 verb. Since you say you're a beginner, perhaps you can stick to ささげる and ignore the literary form? –  snailboat Feb 7 '13 at 3:38

here's a context: I found ささぐ from a song, 「君にささぐ」which even I could guess the meaning. But then, as I practiced my reading with a book, I found 「おとなにささげる」and that led me to wonder what is the difference between the two. Also, the verb classifications I mentioned above is from imiwa, a Japanese dictionary (among others) app for iOS. –  Rhama Arya Wibawa Feb 7 '13 at 3:55

Ah, I bet it uses edict. It looks like edict says ささぐ is a 五段 verb. –  snailboat Feb 7 '13 at 3:58
Yet another victim of the wrong information in EDICT…. As snailplane said, ささぐ is a 下二段 verb in Classical Japanese, not a 五段 verb. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Feb 7 '13 at 4:42
Possibly related: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/5506/78 –  istrasci Feb 7 '13 at 15:18

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

The meaning is exactly the same, but you'll only see ささぐ used in old/formal written text or in lyrics where the number of syllables matter a lot.

For all the other uses, stick to ささげる.

share|improve this answer

ah, "where the number of syllables matter a lot," makes it a lot clearer. Thanks. –  Rhama Arya Wibawa Feb 11 '13 at 4:57

I wasn't very clear, but "number of syllables matter a lot" refers to the use in lyrics alone. In written text it can be used without regard to syllables. For example, in a stele you would see ささぐ more commonly than ささげる –  Kohsuke Kawaguchi Feb 11 '13 at 5:03

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.