Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My wife will give birth to our son soon and I am trying to come up with a name for him.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a name which can be written and pronounced in both English and Japanese? I also hope to find some suitable kanji for the name. I think it would be helpful to others if you can write the meaning too.

I have outlined some ideas below and will update these when I come across any others:

• Ray (レイ)
  • Kay (ケイ)
  • Louis (ルイ),
  • York (ヨーク, like the Japanese celebrity 陽区)
  • Nathan (ネイサン)

Any more common examples or any guide on how to create my own names would be greatly appreciated.

share|improve this question
It is hard to tell what you are asking for and, in particular, how this question is related to the Japanese language. What exactly do you mean by “he can use overseas with no problem”? What kind of “problem” are you trying to avoid? –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jan 30 '13 at 14:21
I think Wasabi is looking for names which are western and Japanese or at least can take kanji. I know of a saimon and an osamu/samuel. –  Tim Jan 30 '13 at 15:31
@Tim: I also thought so first, but then I do not think that York and Jon sound like any Japanese names. I think that a clarification from OP is needed. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jan 30 '13 at 17:08

I am deleting this post. I recognise that language is closely related to culture. When I learnt kanji, the biggest hurdle was overcoming people's names. I don't know how to "get round" this site's rules so I will ask on an open forum. –  Wasabi Jan 31 '13 at 12:22
Some questions are not suitable because they are about Japanese culture and not about Japanese language, but this question is different. It is just unclear. If you are still interested in asking on this website, please make its meaning clear. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jan 31 '13 at 15:49
show 4 more comments

closed as off topic by Dono, Flaw, istrasci, jogloran, Dave Jan 31 '13 at 0:51

Questions on Japanese Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to the Japanese language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.