Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So I'm studying and I ran into an example that stated to go from a (noun)suru to (noun)dekiru is this:

私は車を運転する -> 私は車の運転ができる。

Why isn't 私は車を運転できる。

share|improve this question

I think the question title needs editing, but I'm not sure how best to phrase it. When I read it right now, I think "Is what always ができる?" –  snailboat Jan 27 '13 at 7:38

In casual speech the が is nearly always dropped. –  Kenzo Jan 27 '13 at 13:00

2 Answers 2

I wouldn't say always. I think the construction Xができる is more or less a fixed expression for "being able to do sth."

車の運転ができる sounds more like "I can drive" in the sense of "I have a driver's licence and know how to drive". It is unmistakably a statement about me.

車を運転できる might be interpreted more circumstantial, like "The car is drivable and I can drive it (now)". It might be a statement about the condition of the car.

share|improve this answer

I'm always unsatisfied by the explanation of が being a weird set-phrased form for the direct object with dekiru, suki, etc. I would literally translate 私は車の運転ができる。 as "About me: car's driving is capable of being done." できる can be translated as "to be able to be done" and the が makes a lot of sense.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.