Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I will be in Japan in a few weeks and I am trying to learn the basic to be as polite as possible.

One of the first things I did was try some basic stuff with Google Translate but I feel lost already.

When I try to translate hello from english to japanese I get: こんにちは

When I try Hello I get: もしもし

Why is there a difference, is this a Google issue or there is a real difference between both? Which one should I use to say: Hello

Thanks!

share|improve this question
Hi Jordan and welcome to JLU. There is clearly a difference between the two, and explaining it could make a valid (albeit extremely basic) question. However, the way your question is currently phrased, your question is asking about an external software tool, not Japanese and it therefore off-topic for JLU. Please edit your question accordingly. Moreover, I hope you do realise that Google Translate is nowhere near accurate enough to provide you useful help in learning even basic Japanese. –  Dave Jan 26 '13 at 2:01
@Dave The body of the question is about Japanese and not an external software tool. –  Earthliŋ Jan 26 '13 at 2:06

Thanks, I will try to rephrase, but as @user1205935 said, the main question was what is the difference between こんにちは and もしもし. UPDATE: snailplane did the rephrase. Thanks! –  JordanBelf Jan 26 '13 at 2:25
I'd like to second the idea that you shouldn't try to learn Japanese from Google Translate. Please see the question Resources for learning Japanese. –  snailboat Jan 26 '13 at 2:53

Thanks @snailplane you all are right, I just wanted to get a glimpse at it and when I found out that Hello and hello was different I was(am) a little bit scared of trying to learn it. Buy I will give it a try.I love trying to speak the main language of the places I travel to. –  JordanBelf Jan 26 '13 at 4:21
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 5 down vote accepted

こんにちは is "Hello!" or "Good day!", a greeting for meeting someone in any sort of circumstance.

もしもし is how you answer a phone. Usually both parties say もしもし in turn, before the caller identifies himself ("Hi, it's John"). Outside phone conversations, it is also used to get someone's attention, but I feel it is quite direct, more like "Hey!". (To get someone's attention, the better alternative would be to clear your throat, say え~っと, or すみません, or any combination of these three options.)

To summarize, use こんにちは when you mean "Hello!" and もしもし only when answering the phone.

share|improve this answer

Thanks! I get it now –  JordanBelf Jan 26 '13 at 2:26
For もしもし, it need not be a phone. It is usable when calling out to someone (usually a stranger) around you. –  Dono Jan 26 '13 at 3:02

@Dono I did mention that in the second paragraph. Do you feel that, as a general rule for a beginner, using もしもし for phone conversations and こんにちは for everything else is too simplistic? –  Earthliŋ Jan 26 '13 at 23:30
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.