Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I noticed there are many 形容詞{けいようし} (i-adjectives) that end in 〜ない, where the な is not part of the kanji, and doesn't seem to have the meaning 無い.

Examples:

• 危{あぶ}ない means "dangerous", while 危 means "danger"
  • 少{すく}ない means "few"/"scarce", while 少 means "few"/"little"
  • 切{せつ}ない means "heartrending"/"trying", while 切 means "earnest"/"ardent"

(For contrast, examples where it's clearly 無い: 心ない, 情けない, 力ない.)

I wonder where exactly this ない is coming from. It is not a classical Japanese ending to my knowledge (like 〜しい).

I speculate that it could be an alternative shortening of the classical Japanese copula 〜なり, but this is odd to me because I suspect the usual shortening of 〜な would be used if this were the case (as we see in 形容動詞{けいようどうし} (na-adjectives)).

Does anyone know the etymology of these words and/or the meaning of this 〜ない?

share|improve this question
危ない切ない –  snailboat Jan 24 '13 at 1:09
The -nai suffix is defined here: dic.yahoo.co.jp/… –  Dono Jan 24 '13 at 1:14
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Thanks to snailplane's and Dono's links, it seems that the answer is fairly established:

大辞泉

形容詞・形容動詞の語幹など性質・状態を表す語に付いて形容詞をつくり、その意味を強調する

大辞林

性質・状態を表す語(形容詞・形容動詞の語幹など)に付いて形容詞をつくり、程度のはなはだしい意を表す

Namely, 〜ない is also a suffix that attaches onto words describing state or quality, turns them into a 形容詞, and emphasizes them.

share|improve this answer
Though if someone knows the etymology of 〜ない itself, that'd be pretty interesting to hear :). –  Darius Jahandarie Jan 24 '13 at 4:10
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.