Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Are there web sites that transliterate Japanese text (katakana, hiragana and kanji) into romaji characters without translating the words into the English language?

(Note to moderators: I'm merely asking a yes/no question, not asking what someone's favorite transliterator is)

share|improve this question
What's the point of asking a yes/no question? –  Matti Virkkunen May 31 '11 at 23:01
If the answer is no, then I'll know not to try looking for one. –  Andrew Grimm May 31 '11 at 23:02

Off topic. Even though it is a yes/no question, it's not about Japanese. –  Ali Jun 1 '11 at 6:33
The correct spelling is "rōmaji", not "romanji". –  Kef Schecter Jun 10 '11 at 13:30

I find nihongo amazing: http://nihongo.j-talk.com/ –  naxa Jun 27 '13 at 8:36
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

You can try Google Translate's 'read phonetically' or 'listen' options.

If you need/want an offline tool as well mecab can do this, among other things. For example, if I enter これはミーカッブの変換機能テストです, it can produce:

これ    指示詞,名詞形態指示詞,*,*,これ,これ,*
は      助詞,副助詞,*,*,は,は,*
ミーカッブ      名詞,普通名詞,*,*,*,*,*
の      助詞,接続助詞,*,*,の,の,*
変換    名詞,サ変名詞,*,*,変換,へんかん,代表表記:変換
機能    名詞,サ変名詞,*,*,機能,きのう,代表表記:機能
の      助詞,接続助詞,*,*,の,の,*
テスト  名詞,サ変名詞,*,*,テスト,てすと,代表表記:テスト
です    判定詞,*,判定詞,デス列基本形,だ,です,*
EOS

With the right command-line flags it will produce raw hiragana. It can, however, be quite confused if it comes across words not in its dictionary.

share|improve this answer
add comment

I don't know of a website that does this, but I do know of software that does it. A Japanese guy in the early 2000s created something called "kana2rom". It had been long neglected.

My coworker rescued it, transformed it slightly, and it is now a Ruby open source project on GitHub. Buyer beware - programming required to get it up and running, but it was used to fully translate all of the hiragana in each EDICT entry to romaji for my company's Japanese study software.

add comment

Here's one, though not perfect. Here's another.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.