Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've noticed that some of my Japanese friends with fluent but imperfect English often say "too adjective" when a native English speaker would say just "very adjective".

(I am asking about "too" in the sense "too big", not as in "me too")

Does this reveal that English makes a distinguish that Japanese doesn't make or one which Japanese speakers would find too subtle?

How would I unambiguously express each in Japanese?

share|improve this question

What's that "adjective" means btw? –  YOU Jun 13 '11 at 5:58

@YOU: "too big", "too much", "too fast", "too hot", "too long" etc, but not the other ways we use "too" in English. –  hippietrail Jun 13 '11 at 6:00
@hippietrail, ahh haha, I see. I thought "adjective" as a real word. –  YOU Jun 13 '11 at 6:02

@YOU: Sorry I hoped putting adjective in italics would help but if you have a better suggestion I'd like to make it as clear as possible (-: –  hippietrail Jun 13 '11 at 6:08
No problem, italics should be enough. I was thinking the word "subjective" in my mind when I read your question, so I wrongly assumed "adjective" as similar words like "subjective" :P –  YOU Jun 13 '11 at 6:13
show 4 more comments

2 Answers 2

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Not only "too [big]" and "very [big]", but I have also very often heard "so [big]" added to the mix of confusion by semi-conversational Japanese (not sure it's related, but it sure sounds like it).

A potential lead for an explanation might be in the nuance of 「〜すぎ」in Japanese: it is generally more neutral than "too ~" in English. In fact, it is often colloquially used as a synonym for "very ~" (when used with a positive adjective):

美味しすぎ! → This is really good! (with positive, not negative, nuance) [col.]

When quizzed about that, Japanese coworkers agreed that, in their mind, there wasn't such a strong difference between "too ~"/"so ~"/"very ~"... possibly because of the softer divide between 「〜すぎ」 and 「とても」. I doubt there is a stronger grammatical explanation for this (but would love to hear if there is).

share|improve this answer

Thanks Dave for providing an alternative response! –  hippietrail Jun 13 '11 at 8:21

Interesting. My western mind has never made that connection between 過ぎ and any of the various verys... –  deceze Jun 13 '11 at 8:28

In English there is the colloquial form of "too" which has the same meaning as "very" ("This is too tasty!"), but I still believe that there is a formal difference between the two Japanese forms. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Jun 13 '11 at 9:08

@Ignacio: I am aware of that (in fact, similar colloquialisms exist in at least 2 or 3 western languages I can think of)... But honestly, the English version of this colloquialism is a lot less common than its Japanese counterpart. Your example "This is too tasty!" is both quite rare and generally only positive when used in the larger expression "too X to do Y" (e.g. "too tasty to share"), which is a whole different thing... –  Dave Jun 13 '11 at 9:51

An informal survey among two Japanese here confirmed both opinions: One said they're completely unrelated words, but are misused by young(-ish) people in expressions such as 美味しい過ぎ, while another confirmed that he thinks of both words as very much related (but has a good enough grasp of English as to not confuse too and very). –  deceze Jun 13 '11 at 11:15
show 2 more comments

I've always heard that "very" is 「とても」 (「とても美味しい」), whereas "too" is 「~過ぎ」 (「大き過ぎ」).

share|improve this answer

+1 I think Japanese makes an even clearer distinction than English between between too and very with the -sugi postfix. Not sure how one can confuse the two... –  deceze Jun 13 '11 at 6:47

@deceze: I'll have to pay closer attention, it may only be one friend and he's not nearby at the moment. –  hippietrail Jun 13 '11 at 8:08
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.