Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

While learning Japanese I'd like to watch some Japanese television, whether it is children's programming, drama, or news.

I've found a few places online that allowed me to stream snippets, but nowhere to watch full shows. Is there a service similar to Hulu that has Japanese programming?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by silent1mezzo, Ali, Armstrongest, Nate Glenn, jkerian May 31 '11 at 19:40

Questions on Japanese Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to the Japanese language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Hi guys, really stoked that we've got questions and answers coming in off the bat but this question is off topic. Please stick to questions about the language itself. You can take a look at the example on/off topic questions to see concrete examples. Thanks. –  Ali May 31 '11 at 18:59
This can be done a community wiki, since even if off topic, it's rather useful. –  Alenanno May 31 '11 at 19:03
So is the scope of this site just "Japanese Language" or is it for "Learning Japanese Language"? StackOverflow is about programming, but there are often discussions revolving resources for learning programming. –  jessecurry May 31 '11 at 19:04
It's related to Japanese learning, which I think keeps the spirit of the site... however, I agree, this should be a community Wiki. Make is a community wiki and the close votes will come off. –  Armstrongest May 31 '11 at 19:04

2 Answers 2

http://www.viki.com/ has some in a variety of languages, but many in Japanese. The subtitles are likewise available in several languages, sometimes including the transcripted original Japanese. I'm not sure how good the content is though, since I only saw ドラマ which isn't my thing.

They seem to be a legitimate business with VC funding, so I don't think it's a piracy site, which is a plus.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tokyomx is a news channel available on YouTube. The really nice thing is that many of their videos have Closed Captioning in Japanese (click the CC button on the video). So you can read the Japanese as they speak it.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.